About Hatching Cockroach Eggs
Cockroaches lay egg sacs called ootheca. The ootheca protect the eggs inside with their hard protective shell. In this “How-to-draw” example, you will draw a group of cockroach nymphs escaping from an ootheca.
- Begin by drawing a purse-like shape. This will be the outline for the ootheca.
- Draw a thin line at the top of the shape that extends from end-to-end. This will be the keel, the part of the ootheca that splits open when the nymphs are ready to emerge.
- Draw a series of short little vertical lines beneath the keel. These represent indentations that occur along the side of the ootheca.
- Draw a set of shapes that look like squat, stubby fingers poking out from the top-left of the ootheca. These will be the nymphs.
- Draw another set of nymph shapes from the top-right of the ootheca.
- Draw slightly arcing lines across each of the cockroach nymphs. These represent joint segments in their currently soft exoskeletons.